Friday, April 2, 2010

Time Goes by too Quickly

8 am:

This morning Joseph, Samuel, and Graeme got up and got ready to go skiing. Breakfast was good (frosted mini-wheats) and then there was the usual bus ride to the ski hill. Laughing and joking passes the time on the ride. Anticipation builds excitement and then the rush of the open slopes is consumed by the boys and their friends. The hill will close for season tomorrow, after the annual "slush cup. "

One run quickly turned into another and another, until the race down Clearwater. Samuel was first, Graeme was second, and then there was no Joseph. Looking back up the hill, The other two boys Joseph come to a sliding stop. He did not get up right away, so Graeme skied up the hill to where he lay and Samuel got the attention of someone that worked on the hill. All too soon Joseph was on the back of the snow mobile on his way to the chalet for a first aid check, and then on to the hospital.

He does not remember the fall, or the aftermath, but I dare say he will not forget the recovery any time soon.

Noon:

The ride home was in the ambulance together. I met them at the emergency room where I saw him laying on a gurney strapped to a back board. He was restrained from moving, but was in good spirits considering the pain was growing and considering how uncomfortable back boards are. After the initial examinations, and after 3 x-rays that revealed no broken bones or cranial swelling, The Nurses dressed the wounds and the doctor let me take him home, battered, but not broken (thankfully).

3 pm:

We get to wake him every couple of hours to check his vital signs and see that there are no signs of growing trauma or concussion.

He says, "I look bad, but you should see the bear."

I say, "This is the reason we let you ski on the flat land, not the hills."


9 pm:

He looks like he went a few rounds (or at least a few punches) with a prize fighter. We called in some help to give him a blessing, and I am grateful for the Gospel, and the Priesthood. I am also grateful for Alberta Health Care and the great medical facilities we have here. I am most grateful that he was not concussed or more seriously injured, and that Samuel remained calm when he called home to tell Michelle about the accident.

This one might make his top 23 memories list in a few years. (follow the links to Jacob's blog)

Hugs and Kisses,
to be continued...

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, wow! Poor Joseph! The things our kids put us through huh? Our grandson, Ross, is in a cast up to his armpit from a fall off of a jungle gym. Four fractures. his face looked similar as he went face first down on the steps. Guess we can be thankful our boys aren't in worse shape but...holy cow! Take care Joseph! Your parents can't take this sort of thing too often.

Happy Easter to all. We are retiring from work days routines on June 30th. Should be interesting!

LA Adams said...

Michael already knew about this on facebook. I pray his heals quickly and you survive it all well too.