Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dia de los Reyes

A big part of Dia de los Reyes, is to receive presents in early January (generally on the 6th). Dia de los Reyes is a part of traditional Christmas celebrations in Latin American countries. It is the time when the kings from the east visited the new born Christ and presented their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. It also takes some of the crazy greed out of Christmas Day and lets families concentrate on the spirit of the holiday. We did not have hopes of such kingly gifts, and were very pleased when we received a package this week from Amy. Amy sent a package with goodies for everyone. Samuel really likes his book and it should help him keep up on American history, politics, etc.


Joseph shouted when he opened the present with the tee shirt. He loves all things Star Wars. I'm sure we have all recognized the similarities between the cranes at the Port of Oakland and the AT-AT walkers of the Imperial Forces. We have to pry him out of two shirts, this one and his San Jose Sharks jersey.

I have been listening to the radio show "A Prairie Home Companion" since college days at A&M. I have always enjoyed the stories about Lake Wobegon, and the tag line now proudly displayed in our foyer. Michelle likes the mat because now I don't leave a wet mess on the floor when I remove my snowy boots at the end of the day.

I lost a trusted old friend in the move to Fort McMurray, my black hat was missing for months and months. We finally discovered it a couple of weeks ago crammed in a box where it was crushed. So my lovely wife conspired with her sister to replace the hat, and they out did themselves. The new hat is crushable felt, so no more worries about the shape of the crown or the brim. I am so pleased with the new version.



A little snow is just an annoyance to youth that really want to play hockey. It warmed up the other day to -18 C or so, so all the boys from the ward hit the local outdoor rink for a bit of "shinny" hockey. First you have to understand that even though the sky is as dark as midnight, it is really only about 5 pm. Everyone gets a chance to play snow plow with the rink shovel. the only real problem with the snow on the ice is that the puck slows to a stop so quick.




Everyone has hats and gloves, coats on coats on coats, and a favorite jersey. Samuel loves his new monkey hat and Leafs jersey.





2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Fun post, Good looking hat and we love Prairie Home Companion too. Isn't it great? As a past Lutheran I do find a lot of their humor pretty funny and right on to their way of thinking.

Christine Lambert said...

Michelle, It was so fun to read your blog and learn about what you and the family are up to. I copied the pictures of your fellas to show my Mom and Dad how tall they had grown. They were so amazed, Joseph is taller than Alan! Looks as though Canada is enjoying our California Simpsons. Take care! Chris